🚨 WELCOME TO DISCONNECT 🚨
It’s official: I’m starting a newsletter! After seven years of throwing rocks at Silicon Valley as a freelancer, I’m going direct to my readers.
If you want a critical perspective on the tech industry, it’s time to subscribe!
My #introduction: a list of non-radical ideas
- Giving >=10% of your income to charity
- Using prediction markets for policy making
- Universal basic income
- Open-source software in education & government
- Digital participatory democracy
- Slowing down AI progress
- Replacing coal power plants with nuclear
- High progressive taxes on wealth and inheritance
- Tradable energy quotas
- A 30-hour (or less) work week
- Lowering voting age to 12
- Reparations for colonialism and slavery
really, the thing i care most about right now is cultivating attention
doing things without distraction. sitting with things. following a routine to deload some cognitive burden. working out more. doing things for reasons other than wanting to do them. i know all these things make me happy as a person
Useful test: don't join a Mastodon instance that doesn't let you follow https://raspberrypi.social/@Raspberry_Pi - defederated by many instances because they hired a policeman who had used a Pi to do police work in the past, and were then unapologetic about it.
Enthusiastic follower of EA principles, hesitant believer in the AI apocalypse. Mostly using this as a backup account in case I need it.
a Schelling point for those who seek one